ASB Christchurch Marathon - Queens Birthday Weekend Sunday, 4 JuneEVENT:
The ASB Christchurch Marathon will be held on Queens Birthday Sunday, 4 June. The course extends from Deans Ave in the City Centre to Anzac Drive in the east and will start and finish at Cathedral Square.
The public will not be allowed to cross the route during the event. Only emergency services vehicles and buses will be permitted.
- There will be limited crossing opportunities at Stanmore Rd & Gayhurst Rd. Road users are strongly encouraged to use Anzac Dr / Pages Rd or Deans Ave to get around the course as there will be considerable delays to traffic at Stanmore Rd & Gayhurst Rd.
The central city will be open for business and Central City car parks will be open and available for use.
To get around the Marathon course and avoid unnecessary delays use either:
- Deans Ave to Moorhouse Ave
- Anzac Dr to Pages Rd
- Access to the city centre from Moorhouse Ave will be maintained
- New Brighton Rd will be one-way eastbound. Use Travis Rd to QEII Dr.
Roads affected by the route will be reopened in two stages. The roads around Durham St and Montreal St will be reopened by 10 am. All other roads will be reopened by 2 pm except for the roads around Cathedral Sq. These will be reopened by 5 pm.
Key road closures in the CBD that will be in place by 5 am and removed by 10 am:
- Park Tce
- Victoria St
- Durham St
- Montreal St
- Salisbury St
- Peterborough St
See here for a map of road closures in the CBD. The shaded area will be open to traffic after 10 am - CBD Road Closure Map [JPG, 130 KB]
The key roads noted below will reopen by 2 pm except for the roads leading to Cathedral Square, which is the race finish, and will reopen by 5 pm.
- Colombo St
- Manchester St
- Madras St
- Barbadoes St
- Fitzgerald Ave
- Kilmore St
- Avonside Dr
- Stanmore Rd
- Gayhurst Rd
- New Brighton Rd (one-way eastbound)